Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dragonfly Pendant

Oh the wonderful world of buttons! This beautiful button was found by chance at a vintage button trunk show...much like the one at Monica's Quilt and Bead Creations on til Sunday, Feb 26th.
How different this piece became after I changed out a large bead and inserted this vintage button. In a class taken with Jaime Cloud Eakins, one of the foremost authors of bead embroidery, I created this small pendant, a feature in her newest book, Dimensional Bead Embroidery.
It was a fun piece to make, in part, I think, of the use of those bugle beads. Boy, did they cover the area quickly! After I had finished, I found the button so then the challenge on how to change it since the backing was complete. One of the reasons I make these pieces with lots of new threads is so I can change something later. So glad I had done the same here! I knew the other old bead and surrounding bead trim were each on their own thread line. If I cut one section away it wasn't going to interfere with the neighboring beads. The biggest threat was the backing, but since that was in Ultrasuede I knew it was going to be easier than leather to stitch through. Very happily I set about to change my old bead into a new button and I think it improved the piece exponentially!
Come to Monica's and see tables full of wonderful Vintage Buttons and Beads this weekend!
Get inspired by a cute button bracelet made by Starr and stay for a free "Make & Take"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment